To prepare for this Assignment, imagine that you have information about how 20 nursing students and 20 psychology students felt about starting PSYC 3002 on Day 1 of this class. You want to know if nursing students and psychology students felt differently about embarking on the Introduction to Basic Statistics journey.
9 Nervous Nursing Students
6 Nervous Psychology Students
11 Excited Nursing Students
14 Excited Psychology Students
- Recall the four scales of measurement you learned about in Week 1 (i.e., nominal, ordinal, interval, ratio). Explain what scale of measurement is used to measure academic program in this example. How do you know?
- Explain what scale of measurement is used to measure feeling about PSYC 3002. Explain how you know.
- State whether this scenario requires a goodness of fit test or a test of independence. Explain your answer.
- Before computing the chi square, state the null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis in words (not formulas).
- Identify the obtained χ2 using SPSS and report it in your answer document.
- State the degrees of freedom and explain how you calculated it by hand.
- Identify the p value using SPSS and report it in your answer document.
- Explain whether you should retain or reject the null hypothesis and why.
- Are the results statistically significant? How do you know?
- Explain what you can determine about the relationship between academic program and feelings about PSYC 3002.