Week 4 Assignment – Designing a 24VDC Motor Control Circuit
Designing a 24VDC Motor Control Circuit
Design an Arduino Uno based 24VDC motor control circuit. The motor should start with the presence of a 5V signal, however it will have its own power supply. The circuit will be designed and simulated with MultiSIM. Include the following:
- Engineering calculations to justify component selection.
- Screenshot of the circuit constructed with MultiSIM (or equivalent circuit simulator)
- Screenshot of the circuit simulation running and the measurements of the input voltage and voltage on each lead of the DC motor.
- Include a discussion of the importance of electrical isolation when interfacing microcontrollers to higher voltage inductive circuits (motors). Include detail of how electrical isolation can be achieved to protect the microcontroller and motor.
Week 4 Lab – Using Motors with the Arduino
Using Motors with the Arduino
- Watch the video:
- Construct the breadboard circuit and implement the program presented in the video and Chapter 4 (pp. 65-69) of your textbook to control a DC motor via a distance controller
- Design a circuit and Arduino program that accomplishes the following:
- An IR distance sensor will detect the presence (through waving of a hand)
- A H-Bridge circuit with 9V battery power will control the direction of the DC motor as described in Chapter 4 (pp. 70-79) of your textbook.
- When a hand is waved over the IR sensor, the motor moves in one direction (simulating opening a door). There is a 2 second pause, and then the motor moves in the opposite direction (simulating closing the door).
- The motor stops until another hand is waved over the IR sensor again.
- Please video record demonstrating the operations of the circuit with a hand motion near the sensor. Show the motion of the motor in both directions along with the pause in between. Take a screenshot of the program and the circuit board.
- Send your code file (.ino) of the lab completed and operational as well for credit.
- Explain the process you used in this lab to arrive at the final design of both the hardware and the software portions to achieve the design objectives.
- What aspects of the data sheets were critical in order to properly interface the Arduino to the H-Bridge and the DC motor?
- Although not required in this lab, describe how you might expand on this lab to minimize any possible false openings of the door.
- Submit your answers with your video of your circuit in operation, the code, and any computer screenshots during its operation. Please include your Grantham ID number in the video to show your work.