Read the case by Sterrett & Richardson (2017), “Cultivating Innovation in an Age of Accountability: Tech-Savvy Leadership,” from the University Library.
Write a 250- to 300-word response to the following:
- Describe what learning and leading look like in your educational setting or in the educational setting with which you are most familiar (school, school district, college, etc.). How are quality and capacity developed and/or supported?
- If the “hallmarks of excellence” presented in Figure 1 of Sterrett and Richardson (2017) were modified to assess excellence in instructional leadership, they might look like this:
- Models effective instructional leadership in the execution of day-to-day responsibilities.
- Ensures that instructional resources are equitably distributed among students and staff.
- Insists that adequate professional development is a component of every instructional initiative.
- Demonstrates exceptional vision in leading the development and implementation of instructional plans.
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of the role of instruction in education and can articulate that understanding to all related stakeholders.
- Provides exceptional leadership in supporting curriculum and instruction.
- Demonstrates curiosity and open-mindedness in considering emerging and non-traditional approaches to instruction to address traditional problems.
- Thinks creatively and strategically about the long-term challenges and opportunities of instruction in the organization and in education at large.
- Reflect on these modified hallmarks and provide a response to the following question:
- How can you grow as an instructional leader while also empowering others around you to do the same?
Include your own experience as well as 2 citations that align with or contradict your comments as sourced from peer-reviewed academic journals, industry publications, books, and/or other sources. Cite your sources using APA formatting. If you found contradicting information to what your experience tells you, explain why you agree or disagree with the research.
Review your classmates’ posts. Respond to at least one of your colleagues in a post of at least 150 words. Explain why you agree or disagree with that post. Then, share an example from your professional experience to support your assertions.