As referenced in the cases and articles assigned this week, the definition of the employer-employee relationship is subject to interpretation. Moreover, the way employers and employees interact in the workplace initiates productivity, conflict, and controversy.
How can HRM professionals help define roles and responsibilities associated with the employer-employee relationship to enable a productive workplace? Use real-life examples, if at all possible.
It is recommended that you identify the main argument and decision of all of these cases by reading the abstract for each case. Then select one case to analyze using the IRAC method.
Definition of Employee
These articles are less than two pages each and illustrate different scenarios that are used to determine the definition of who is an employee.
- Janette, L. F. (2019, September). Are sports referees employees or independent contractors? Workforce Management (Time and Attendance) Excellence Essentials.
- Schoeffler, B., & Oak, C. (2018, October 15). Time to revisit independent contractor vs. employed producer status. Insurance Journal.
- Smith, S. (2016, February 29). OSHA administrative law judge rules Connecticut contractor misclassified employees as independent contractors. EHS Today.
- Walters v. Metropolitan Educational Enterprises, Inc., 519 US 202 (1997).
- Review the summary of this case.