According to Goffman’s dramaturgical perspective, the self, “is not an organic thing that has a specific location, whose fundamental fate is to be born, to mature, and to die,” rather the self, “is a dramatic effect arising diffusely from a scene that is presented” (Goffman 1965, Presentation of Self in Everyday Life: 252 – 253).
For this paper you will get into the spirit of Goffman and analyze yourself from a dramaturgical perspective. Observe yourself as you perform a social role (at school, at work, with your friends, etc.) and answer the following two questions:
- How do the elements of the front (region, appearance, and manner) set the stage for your role performance?
- How does this role performance contribute to your overall sense of who you are?
- Your paper should be essay format, 3 pages, double-spaced, with 12-point font.
- Include a header with your name, the date, and the title of the course.
- Please include page numbers anywhere on your paper.
- You do not need to worry about MLA format or include a reference page.