Ethics: Central Component to Justice?
Societies have been using punishment as a way to affect behavior for centuries. The question must be asked of the benefits of punishment to direct actions and deter crime. After reading the required textbook chapters for this week, evaluate public issues that criminal organizations face in ethical decision making. In your paper,
- Evaluate the morality of punishment for actions;
- Describe the philosophical theories that justify punishment as a requirement to creating and reinforcing moral behavior;
- Explain the theories that view punishment as an inappropriate response to poor moral behavior; and
- Describe the alternatives to punishment used to correct behavior.
- Must be three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
Banks, C. (2016). Criminal justice ethics: Theory and practice (4th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.uagc.edu
- Chapter 2: Police Ethics: The Nature of Policing and Police Corruption
- Chapter 6: The Purpose of Criminal Punishment
- Chapter 8: Ethics in Correction: Guarding Ethically
Barber, R. (Writer & Producer). (2010). Cops and ethics (Links to an external site.) [Series episode]. In R. Barber (Executive producer), In the Line of Duty, Volume 13. Retrieved from the https://secure.films.com/OnDemandEmbed.aspx?token=52652&aid=18596&loid=187589&plt=FOD&w=420&h=315&fWidth=440&fHeight=365
Hicks, W. (2015). CRJ524 professional resources list Download CRJ524 professional resources list. Retrieved from https://bridgepoint.equella.ecollege.com/curriculum/file/78ce1060-b8b0-4666-8a12-ecc460da8d1b/1/CRJ524_Professional Resources List.docx
- This document provides additional resources in the form of articles, multimedia, and websites that may be helpful in the development of your learning in the field of criminal justice. This source may assist you in your weekly discussions.