Part 1: Brainstorming
Directions: Use complete sentences to answer all the questions to help you plan your narrative based on a conflict you have experienced.
Make a Connection
- What conflict have you faced in your own life? This will be the basis of your narrative.
- Who is the protagonist?
- What does the protagonist look like?
- What is the protagonist’s age and what other factual information is important (where he/she lives, goes to ( school, hobbies, etc.)?
- How would you describe the protagonist’s personality and attitude?
- Who is the antagonist?
- What does the antagonist look like?
- What is the antagonist’s age and what other factual information is important (where he/she lives, goes to (school, hobbies, etc.)?
- How would you describe the antagonist’s personality and attitude?
- What conflict does your protagonist face?
- Who or what causes the conflict?
- Who is involved in the conflict?
- How will the protagonist respond to the conflict?
- What is the outcome of the protagonist’s response to the conflict?
- How will you introduce the characters, setting, and conflict in the exposition?
- What events will happen in the rising action to help develop the conflict?
- What will the climax (turning point) be for the protagonist? Think about the decision the protagonist will have to make as a result of the conflict.
- What events will happen in the falling action?
- How will the conflict be solved in the resolution?
Point of View
- What point of view will you use to tell the story? Think about who can best tell the story—a narrator who is inside the story (first person) or a narrator who is outside the story but knows the thoughts and feelings of the characters (third person omniscient).
- How will your selected point of view influence what readers know about the characters and the conflict in your narrative?
Part 2: Exposition
Directions: Use the answers from Part 1: Brainstorming to write your exposition paragraph. This should introduce the main characters, the conflict, and the setting. Be sure to include descriptive details.